Fall is finally here my friends! I know it’s been a few days now since it became “official”, however it’s just now beginning to sink in and I’m very excited. I’ve talked on here about some freezer meals that I like to create for busy nights, but sometimes when it’s crazy around here (in between the games, homework, etc.) I can still pull together a quick meal in less than 25 minutes that tastes delicious. I like to keep certain things on hand that I can use in a variety of ways, like Del Monte Tomatoes. I have their Stewed Tomatoes as well as their Diced Tomatoes in my cupboard and I use them for many different things, like stews, pot roasts, soups, and recently I used them for this tasty tomato tart.
I like making these tarts because not only are they quick and easy, but also because they have no meat, can be used to have with dinner, lunch, or just a snack, and it only takes 6 ingredients.
Tasty Tomato Tart
What you need:
- 2 puff pastry dough sheets, or pizza dough
- 1 can of Del Monte Diced Tomatoes
- 5 ounces of shredded Italian cheeses (I used a Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano blend
- ½ large sweet onion
- A handful of fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 5 ounces of cheese spread (I used a light Garlic and Herbs flavored one)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Roll out dough on greased cookie sheets and fold edges over to create a crust.
3. Slice onion into ¼ inch rounds. Place in a fry pan with butter and cook over medium/low heat until they begin to caramelize.
4. Spread cheese spread evenly on top of dough. Then sprinkle ½ of the shredded cheese on top.
5. Spoon out diced tomatoes and cover the tart. Place onions on and then top with the remainder of the cheese.
6. Bake for 12 minutes, then broil for 1 minute or until the top of the tart is lightly browned.
7. Finely chop fresh basil and sprinkle on top of the tart.
8. Cut each tart into 8 pieces using a pizza cutter and serve immediately.
Makes approximately 16 3 inch squares.
All Del Monte products are currently on Sale at your local Albertsons and Safeway stores (9/30-10/13), so now is a great time to stock up on Del Monte fruits and vegetables because they are a perfect ingredient for quick meals!
Do you have any quick meals that you make using Del Monte Diced Tomatoes? I have a bunch of cans in my cupboard and am always looking for new ideas. 🙂