I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser.
There are a lot of games happening this time of year, and one big football game in particular that is just around the corner! I’m not a huge football watcher myself, (I prefer watching basketball) BUT, any game is a great time to make an excuse for family time.
Most days I do all of the cooking and on special occasions or when we have guests over I make appetizers and other treats in addition to everything else, and it seems I spend more time in the kitchen then relaxing with our friends and family! I’ve learned that sometimes when you have company over to watch a game it’s great to just grab some comfort foods that you can throw into the oven before halftime and then not have to worry about dinner!
This week I decided to run to Walmart to pick up a cart full of food that my family likes to munch on and that I don’t have to make!
With all the preparation time you are saving you’ll even have time to set everything up for a nice little display to show off your game time goodies for your guests.
If you know me though, I still had to put a little spin on things and create a little something special for everyone. I purchased Dryer’s Limited Edition Touchdown Sundae ice cream (which my kids LOVE because it has little chocolate footballs with caramel in the center) and then I whipped up some chocolate chip cookies and made Football Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can use your own favorite cookie recipe; pre made dough, or use this simple chocolate chip recipe below:
Football Ice Cream Sandwiches
Dryers Limited Edition Touchdown Sundae Ice Cream
1 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
2 cups of chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- In another bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking powder, then add in with butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until blended.
- Pat dough into a cookie sheet making cookies 2 1/2- 3 inches in diameter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Take out of the oven and cool in pan for one minute. Then remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- When the cookies are cooled you can now make your footballs!
- I didn’t have a football cookie cutter, so I drew the shape onto card stock and then set the image on the large cookies and cut the shape out using a sharp knife.
- While you are cutting the football shapes, take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften.
- Using an ice cream scoop place a generous amount of ice cream between to cookies and gently press together.
- Place ice cream sandwiches into freezer to harden for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy!! Your guests will love these extra-large party treats!
Remember, whatever you do for the big game day this year, make sure you keep it simple! Have fun relaxing with the family!