My family and I love potatoes. I mean, who doesn’t? Baked, mashed, fried, sliced, diced, … the list goes on. Sometimes I like to make Latkes. If you’ve never heard of them before, they are like a Potato Pancake made from hash browns that are traditionally served with sour cream or applesauce.
I’ve always made them from scratch, scrubbing the potatoes, peeling, and shredding them. It’s pretty time consuming and on busy weeknights with basketball practices and homework it just doesn’t happen. But when I was browsing through Walmart the other day these Ore Ida shredded hash browns caught my eye, and I thought now this could save me some time! So I bought them, made my special cheddar and chive latkes and they turned out just as good, maybe even better than they normally do, and it took me half the time to make them!
Cheddar and Chive Potato Latkes:
What You Need:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped chives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups of Ore Ida Shredded hash browns
- Oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Crack eggs and pour flour and whisk in a large bowl.
2. Mix in chives and cheese.
3. Take thawed Ore Ida hash browns and gently blot between two paper napkins, removing and excess moisture (will not be much). Mix with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Pour 2 Tablespoons of oil into frying pan and heat over medium heat. Spoon potato mixture into pan, forming ‘pancakes’. I make mine approx. 3″ in diameter. Fry until golden brown, flip and continue until brown on both sides.
Makes approximately 12-15 latkes depending on the size
*I have personally found that my cast iron frying pan works the best so they don’t stick.*
Serve them with sour cream and applesauce, or go kid-friendly with ranch and ketchup!
The new Ore Ida Hash browns packaging is also advertising a Disney’s Frozen sweepstakes too! I checked it out online and there are thousands of prizes from Frozen tickets to $500 Visa cards and the grand prize is a family vacation to Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas! You can enter the Disney Frozen sweepstakes here!
Participating Walmart’s are also doing some in-store demos of Ore Ida November 30th and December 1st so you can get more great cooking ideas! (check your local Walmart to see if they are offering one of the demos!)
What’s your favorite potato recipe? I’d love to hear! I’m always looking for more ideas! Comment below and share.:)