Most of the time when I make a quick meal it’s because, well, I’m in a hurry. Sometimes though, I’ve learned that it’s good to have a fast go-to meal when you’d rather spend a free evening sitting down together as a family, whether you are playing board games, talking about your days at school or work, or watching a movie together.
I like to keep Marie Callender’s ® Pot Pies on hand for when I stumble upon such a rare occasion. They have many different flavors and sizes to choose from, so I can make everyone their own individual pie, or I can bake a family-sized pie in the oven for all of us to enjoy. To me, Marie Callender pies bring back a feeling of nostalgia and comfort in a golden, flaky crust.
The Marie Callender’s Pot Pie is a great meal in itself, but I usually like to make a quick side dish to have with it, and I am finding myself stepping outside of my old cooking comfort zones and creating new dishes that will hopefully be memorable for my family.
The other night I made a bacon balsamic asparagus dish that took less than 30 minutes from start to finish:
Bacon Balsamic Asparagus:
What you need:
- 1 bundle of fresh asparagus
- ¾ cup of white mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup of sweet onion (approximately ½ of a large onion), chopped
- 5 ounces of bacon, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic dressing
1. Rinse and cut all of the ingredients.
2. Place the asparagus on a cookie sheet, and then add the mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and bacon on top.
3. Drizzle the oil and balsamic dressing over the top, turning the asparagus so it is well coated.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the asparagus to taste, and then place the pan into a 425-degree oven for approximately 15 minutes, removing the asparagus and turning it halfway through.
With my Dad still up visiting, this was a perfect meal to share – which gives us more time to finally get our pumpkins carved!
Marie Callender’s Pot Pies can be found in the frozen entrée aisle at your local Walmart.
What is your go-to dish that is all ready for you to cook in the oven?