So happy to share this blog post I created as a Suave Kids partner. The Disney, Frozen and Star Wars trademarks are used by Unilever pursuant to a license agreement with The Walt Disney Company. All rights reserved.
I’ve been raising kids for quite a while now…it will be 14 years this summer! If there is one thing that I’ve learned over the years is that kids need a routine. My kids have always thrived well with some sort of daily ritual. That’s not to say that we don’t skip it now and then, but during school nights we definitely try to keep a bedtime pattern for them.
All kids are different too, while some may need more structure, others do okay with less. Both of my girls do better with a routine, and while for Anika it was more of a needing-to-know what was next kind of thing, for Emma it’s to help establish times, because that girl could just get lost doing whatever it is she’s doing and just doesn’t really have that much concept for time and getting things finished.
When I’m not working evenings we always have dinner together, and the kids know if they eat well at the table then they can have dessert afterwards. We start getting ready for bed approximately one hour before bedtime, so they don’t feel as rushed and, well, it normally just takes about an hour anyways. 🙂
Depending on whose bath night it is we start with that. Emma’s was last and she loves being the big girl by taking showers now…but likes taking a bath first so she can still play with her toys. 🙂 I normally use Suave Kids® shampoo for her because it is gentle product specially formulated for kids. Her latest favorite Suave product is the new Suave Kids Disney collection.
We use Disney Frozen Olaf 2-in-1 Shampoo + Body Wash in Icy Grape, which comes in an easy to use 28 ounce pump bottle and has a fun fruity scent. Then we follow it up with Disney Frozen Elsa 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner in Berry Flurry, also in an easy to use 28 ounce pump bottle.
After bath, then it’s time for pajamas and picking clothes out for the next day. Then they brush their teeth and I’ll braid Emma’s hair if it was a bath night. The Disney Frozen Anna Detangler Spray in Sparkle Berry works great to get any extra knots out of her hair.
Then, if we have time, we’ll read a couple of books before bed – and that’s it! Lights out, after kisses of course.
Tip to maintain a bedtime routine:
- Be consistent. It doesn’t have to be all of the time, but make it at least 80% of the time, so your kids know what is expected, and the other 20% will feel like a special day, or “the weekend”.
- Let them choose. Let kids choose things like their favorite toothpaste and shampoo and allow them to have some choices in their routine.
- Make it fun. By having a consistent routine it allows your kids to have a little more time to make it fun, like taking a leisurely bath or reading a funny story. It’s always better to make it fun instead of fighting it.
What other ideas do you have for a bedtime routine? If you’re interested in checking out the new Suave Kids Disney Collections, they are currently available at Mass grocery, drug, and value retailers nationwide!