You guys – we’ve been so busy this past week that I’ve not gotten back out to pick blueberries with the kids yet! I promised to make some more jam with them though, so this morning we drove over to our local fruit stand to buy a flat of blueberries…bad idea on a weekend! They were nearly out of fruit for the day, and only had a couple pints of blueberries.
Instead I ended up grabbing a half flat of blackberries and the last half flat of raspberries that they had to create a different kind of jam (and to freeze some too!)
As you can imagine – making jam can be, well – downright messy. I always keep cleansing wipes on hand for easy clean up – like Wet Nap® Cleansing Wipes. We always seem to get jam on our hands when I’m pouring the jam into the jars, and it is inevitable that the kids will dip their fingers into jam and sneak berries whenever possible!
I decided to do something a little different with this batch of jam and added a tablespoon of orange emulsion to give it a little bit of a unique twist with the berries, and I think it turned out pretty darn delicious.
Want to make some jam? Grab some sugar, berries, a Wet Nap Cleansing Wipes and get ready to create something tasty! 😉
Blackberry Raspberry Jam with a Hint of Orange Flavor
What you need:
4 cups raspberries
4 cups blackberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange emulsion
8 8 ounce canning jars; sterilized
- Wash the berries thoroughly and add them to a large cooking pot. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and orange emulsion; stir.
- Using a potato masher, gently smash some of the berries. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Place the berries over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook until the berries reach the jellying point – which is about 220-221 degrees F on a thermometer.
- Using a ladle, skim off any foam on top and discard.
- Then, spoon mixture into jam jars, leaving ¼ inch space from the top of the jar. Add lids with rings and then process them for 15 minutes in boiling water.
Wet Nap Cleansing Wipes can be found at Walmart and just make cleaning up super easy –whether it is jam off of sticky hands, or dirt from the county fair (I’ll share photos from that soon!) They are just great to have on hand.
Visit Walmart for all your Wet-Nap® needs: 110-Count Hands, Face, & Body Cleansing Wipes, 24-Count Packettes Antibacterial Hand Wipes and 40-Count Canister Antibacterial Hand Wipes!