There are a lot of games happening this time of year, and one big football game in particular that is just around the corner! I’m not a huge football watcher myself, (I prefer watching basketball) BUT, any game is a great time to make an excuse for family time.
Most days I do all of the cooking and on special occasions or when we have guests over I make appetizers and other treats in addition to everything else, and it seems I spend more time in the kitchen then relaxing with our friends and family! I’ve learned that sometimes when you have company over to watch a game it’s great to just grab some comfort foods that you can throw into the oven before halftime and then not have to worry about dinner!
This week I decided to run to Walmart to pick up a cart full of food that my family likes to munch on and that I don’t have to make!
With all the preparation time you are saving you’ll even have time to set everything up for a nice little display to show off your game time goodies for your guests.
If you know me though, I still had to put a little spin on things and create a little something special for everyone. I purchased Dryer’s Limited Edition Touchdown Sundae ice cream (which my kids LOVE because it has little chocolate footballs with caramel in the center) and then I whipped up some chocolate chip cookies and made Football Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can use your own favorite cookie recipe; pre made dough, or use this simple chocolate chip recipe below:
Dryers Limited Edition Touchdown Sundae Ice Cream
1 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
2 cups of chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine butter and granulated sugar together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until well blended.
3. In another bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking powder, then add in with butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.
4. Add chocolate chips and stir until blended.
5.Pat dough into a cookie sheet making cookies 2 1/2- 3 inches in diameter.
6.Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
7. Take out of the oven and cool in pan for one minute. Then remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
When the cookies are cooled you can now make your footballs!
8. I didn’t have a football cookie cutter, so I drew the shape onto card stock and then set the image on the large cookies and cut the shape out using a sharp knife.
9. While you are cutting the football shapes, take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften.
10. Using an ice cream scoop place a generous amount of ice cream between to cookies and gently press together.
11. Place ice cream sandwiches into freezer to harden for 30 minutes.
Enjoy!! Your guests will love these extra-large party treats!